Excerpt by Anna Whyte | NZ Herald
A quick-thinking 11-year-old boy and a computer chair saved precious time and quality of life when Vinnie Smith suffered a stroke on Christmas Eve while glazing the Christmas ham.
Mr Smith was at glazing the Christmas ham and making a potato salad, when he sat down to watch the news. “My eyes went cross-eyed,” said Mr Smith, 43.
“I’d only had one beer so thought I was maybe dehydrated.”
Mr Smith got up from the couch and did a “very serious drunken walk” to put the second glaze on the ham.
He then felt a tingle in his mouth, and tried to text his wife, Liz Smith, a nurse at Tauranga Hospital, but was unable to operate the cellphone.
“My left arm wasn’t working and my head collapsed on to the kitchen bench,” Mr Smith said. He managed through his slurred speech to call to Jordan, who quickly came to his aid.
The fit, healthy non-smoker was suffering from a stroke.
Jordan rang his mother, who told him to call 111. He told the 111 operators, “my dad can’t speak properly”.
Emergency staff were able to use a medicine on Mr Smith which returned him to full health.
“It has a four-hour window, so time is of the essence,” Mrs Smith said.
Mr Smith praised Jordan’s calm. “He had everything under control”.
Jordan was hailed as a “little hero” by the staff at A&E for his flawless response. Mr Smith said Jordan even turned off the oven, stopping the ham from overcooking.
Thanks to Anna Whyte for writing the article; NZ Herald for committing its resources to the article; Jordan Smith for successfully responding to an emergency; Vinnie Smith for sharing the story; Google for helping me find the story; and all the people who, directly or indirectly, made it possible to include the picture and text in this post.